How is Glaucoma Detected?
According to the Glaucoma Research Foundation, less than half of all adult Americans are receiving a dilated eye exam which is the best and most effective way to detect glaucoma. The exam includes:
- Visual Acuity Test that measures how well you see at various distances
- Visual Field Test that measures your peripheral (side) vision
- Dilated Eye Exam where drops are placed in your eyes to widen the pupils while an eye care professional examines your retina and optic nerve for signs of damage
- Tonometry which measures the pressure inside your eye
- Pachymetry that measures the thickness of your cornea